“The Windows Installer service could not be accessed” is an error which occurs when you try to install a program in Windows 7 or Windows Vista, when installing software or when the Windows Installer files are missing or corrupted. This will hinder your installation process. However, there are few quick resolutions to eliminate this problem.
Method 1: Deleting the older or previous version of the software you want to install
Before you proceed with downloading the new software, make sure you have removed the earlier version to avoid unexpected problems and issues.
Method 2: Launch the Microsoft Installer Services manually
It is recommended to start the Installer service manually when dealing with“The Windows Installer Service could not be accessed” issue.
- After pressing the Windows and R keys together, Type and hit Enter “services.msc”.
- Locate Windows Installer on the Services Window.
- Click twice on services. On a window pop-up, under the heading “Service status” click on This service may have already started if your Service status reads, running.
- You have now successfully started the Windows Installer Service manually. You may now check to see if the issue has been resolved.
Method 3: Microsoft Installer service to be registered again
Another effective way to resolve the “Microsoft Installer Service could not be accessed” issue is by re-registering the service itself. This is done in the following way.
- Press the Windows and R keys simultaneously and then type in and Enter “cmd”.
- The given line needs to be written in the blank space in the Command Prompt and make sure to press Enter after typing each line of command.
%windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /unregister%windir%\system32\msiexec.exe /regserver%windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /unregister%windir%\syswow64\msiexec.exe /regserver
- End or close the Command Prompt and then proceed with Restarting the computer.
- The Windows Installer Service may now have been re-registered. For confirmation, check on the error to see if the issue has been successfully fixed.
Method 4: Microsoft Installer Service Registry to be reset in 6 steps
Another way of solving the “Microsoft Installer Service could not be accessed” issue is by simply resetting the service registry. However you should note that in doing so your registry may be altered and may cause unpredictable consequences. Which is why, it is highly recommended to secure and have a back up for your registry.
You may reset your registry by following the given steps
- On the Start Menu Bar or beside it, open search and then write “notepad” to locate it. Open notepad.
- Next, Copy Paste the given codes below in the notepad which you have just opened.
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00 [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msiserver]
- After clicking on File, choose the option of Save As.
- Choose an appropriate place to save this document and make sure to save with a name ending with . (for example save it on your desktop and name it msirepair.reg). In the Save as Type option, select All files (*.*). End with clicking on Save.
- Go to wherever you have placed your file, open it, and then right click on it to select Run as Administrator. Press confirm when asked.
- Finally, you are done with the resetting process. You may now proceed to install your file and should now notice that the problem has been successfully resolved.