The main issue that most users have faced is that when they try shutting down their Windows 10 from the Start Menu, it restarts instead. Below we have two reliable solutions to help you fix this issue.. If the problem still persists after trying one solution, try the other one.
Solution 1: Turning off the Fast Startup feature
A common solution that worked for many users, regarding Windows 10 restarting instead of shutting down, is to turn off the Fast Startup Feature.
- Click the Windows key + I key to open the ‘Settings’ window.
Then click on ‘System.’
- Select, ‘Power & sleep> Additional power settings.’
- Click on the ‘Choose what the power button does’ option.
- Then select, ‘Change settings that are currently unavailable.’
- Click on, ‘Turn on fast startup’ to turn OFF fast startup.
- Make sure to select ‘Save Changes’ to apply the settings.
- The last step is to shut down your Windows 10 to see if the issue has been resolved. If this doesn’t work, then try:
Solution 2: Updating your Device Driver
If the first solution doesn’t work out for you, try updating your device driver. An outdated or corrupted driver may be the cause for your Windows 10 restarting instead of shutting down.
- Open up the ‘Quick access’ menu by pressing the Windows and X key together. In the quick access menu,click on Device Manager.
- Right-click on the Device Driver, and then press Update driver. Updating your Network Adapter Driver first might be a good idea, if the issue is indeed with your device driver.
- Choose the ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ option.
- Windows will automatically start searching for the relevant update for you, and you can proceed to install it by following the instructions given on screen.