When you see a red cross with icon of network on your computer like in the picture, something is wrong with your connection.
You cannot seem to connect to wireless nor Ethernet and when you troubleshoot, you see this:
The first problem is “The default gateway is not available”. This problem can be fixed four ways, you are recommended to try only the first, then the second and so on if one does not work for you.
Solution 1: Delete Antivirus software
McAfee Antivirus is known to cause this internet problem and therefore it is recommended that you uninstall any and all of McAfee’s security programs if you happen to have any on your computer. Here is how you do it:
- Open Control Panel from Start Menu. Choose to View by: Small icons and open Programs and Features.
- Click on McAfee Antivirus software and choose to Uninstall them.
- Reboot your PC for the changes to take effect.
Solution 2: Perform Automatic Reinstallation of Network Adapters Driver
Follow the steps below to automatically reinstall network adapters driver
- Type msc in Run box to open your PC’s Device Manager.
- Look for Network adapters and expand it. Right click on the network adapter that is currently in use, say Intel (R) 82574L Gigabit Network Connection for example, and select Uninstall from the context menu.
- Select OK when warned about your action.
- Close all windows and restart your PC. When it opens, you will be automatically guided by Windows to new network adapter driver.
Solution 3: Put another Network adapters driver in Effect
Here is how you change drivers:
- Open Run box and type devmgmt.msc in the empty bar to open Device Manager.
- Under the Network Adapters option that you expand, find your current driver and right click on it. From the context menu that appears, select the first option Update Driver Software…
- When asked how to proceed, go for the second option Browse my computer for driver software.
- When given the window to browse for driver, click on the option below instead that says Let me pick from a list of device drivers from my computer.
- Unmark the box that says Show compatible hardware and then select Intel Corporation from under the Manufacturer Then, from under the Model heading, select a different driver than the one you were previously using.
You will have changed the driver. If the changed one does not work out, keep changing them until the “The default gateway is not available” problem goes away, following the same procedure.
Solution 4: Install New Network adapters driver by yourself
Besides letting Windows update the adapters driver automatically, you can choose to manually upgrade them by finding them online. It is a bit tricky but doable nevertheless. Download and install the correct network adapters driver or take the help of driver managing software.
We hope the solutions above helped you get your connection back to work. Share with your friends to let them know too.